Federal Member for Calare Andrew Gee today welcomed the activation of disaster assistance for the communities of Calare following recent storms and flooding in July.
Assistance is being provided to the Bathurst, Cabonne, Oberon and Orange Local Government Areas (LGA) through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
Mr Gee said this funding will ensure that affected residents get back on their feet as soon as possible.
“Natural disasters such as floods can have severe consequences for communities and essential public infrastructure,” Mr Gee said.
“The region has been battered of late with wild weather, and this helping hand will make a real difference with the clean-up.”
A range of assistance is available including:
- Help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged;
- Support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets;
- Concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and not-for-profit organisations;
- Freight subsidies for primary producers; and
- Grants to not-for-profit organisations including local sporting clubs.
Minister Keenan said nothing is more important than helping those hardest hit recover from natural disasters.
“Today’s announcement demonstrates the commitment of the Australian and New South Wales governments to support disaster affected communities,” Minister Keenan said.
Information on the assistance available in response to this disaster is available at disasterassist.gov.au and emergency.nsw.gov.au.